Thursday 20 December 2007

Thursday.

Yesterday was a long day. Got up, went to early service where I read the Old Testament lesson. Isaiah 39, which concerned King Hezekiah who (just on the evidence in this chapter) must have been the silliest king recorded in the whole of the Old Testament. Brief breakfast in the Deanery, then drove over to Wisbech, saw Elizabeth our accountant, who returned the books, then on to Gran's who is spending Christmas with us, and bought her home, stopping at Downham Market at the Castle, where we had tea and Biccies with Mick and Erica. Considering she is now in her 100th year on God's earth (as she would put it) Gran coped very well with the two hour drive. This morning I was putting in some time in my workshop before breakfast when our good friend Terry Turk 'phoned. With the possible exception of our accountant Elizabeth, Terry talks faster and better than anyone I know. I think both of them live in their own time scale which moves faster than that of the rest of us, and I invariable come off the 'phone to either of them feeling stimulated, rejuvenated, and moving much faster than before. Will say no more because I've just remembered that Terry reads my blog, and I would not wish to embarass her (Heh Heh !!! - American expression- don't know what it means !!) Spent the rest of this morning in my workshop trying to sort out a small but recalcitrant timepiece alarm. Think I'm winning. This afternoon Ann and I went into town (Gran declined, saying she wanted a quiet day to recuperated from yesterday) to do a bit of shopping. Looked round the new shop opened by Adnam's of Southwold - Kitchens and Cellars I think it's called. Rather disappointed. Don't think it will take off. Still, you never know. Choir practice this evening for Sunday's Carol Service. Don't feel we're nearly ready for it. Also feel that Terry's influence has not yet rubbed off - the way I'm writing feels just as if I'm talking too fast (SEE TERRY- you're a bad influence on me!!!) Good night all - God bless you.

2 comments:

Crowbard said...

Strange lot them ole Kings!
I fink Hez was a poker player, recognizing the competition from Babylon he showed them his cards knowing they would suspect he only showed them a quarter of his wealth and strength and succesfuly scared them off - delaying their offensive and buying time to strengthen his defences. When the local loony turned up muttering dire warnings he gave him a gentle pat on the head and sold him the fatalistic submissive line so when Isaiah leaked the info back to babylon it would not reveal Hezekiah's intents or preparations.

Crowbard said...

The clincher for me was when Hez backed up his bluff by insisting that he had shown the Babylonian delegation everything. Prophets are by nature talkative and tell the truth so when Isaiah reassured the Babylonians that Hez had claimed to show them everything they would know Hez had lied to Isaiah and be even more convinced it was a bluff to cover a much bigger resource.