Saturday 12 May 2007

saturday

Spent this morning pottering. Finished off small jobs. Started off other small jobs. Drank tea with gardener, filled in password renewal form. Earlier in the week we had invitation from near neighbours to 'join them for a glass of wine at 12.30 pm'. Felt this was very civil of them but not sure how long to stay. Went. Met other neighbours. After nearly hour and a half of very pleasant chat made our excuses and I dashed off to scrabble club. Hope we got the timing right. At scrabble club shared table with Arthur (who is, if anything, rather deafer than I am. So conversation, between play, consisted of alternate bellowings, and even louder "Ehs?". Rather wearing, I should imagine for third member of party, elderly lady, stylish ex- cockney ). When scrabble club started three or four years ago, I was chatting to said elderly lady, who had walked very fair distance to club, and said "don't you drive ?"
She laughed heartily, and said "Do I drive ? You should have seen some of the things I drove in the last war". It turned out that from 1939 onwards she regularly drove everything from tank transporters to Rolls - Royces packed with top brass. It just shows that it's unwise to make assumptions about anybody. I digress. Back to this afternoon. I won the first two scrabbles, then towards the end of the third game Brenda (the tank transporter lady) who had been lagging behind the two blokes, suddenly hit a brilliant patch, and then went out on a seven letter word onto a triple word score, and won by just over fifty points . It's a great game scrabble, and keeps the grey matter turning over nicely. Ann just called downstairs that dinner is imminent. Evening meal over. Very nice, too. Then Ann washed and I dried. And so to bed, as Mr. Pepys said. Bet he wished the blog had been invented in his day.

1 comment:

Nea said...

Another book I must add to my list of stuff I want to read.

Don't have time right now though, too busy reading up on how to skin a rabbit, cook a goose, joint an elk, not to tease a bore, catch caper caille, dog handle, shoot...