Wednesday 8 January 2020

Wednesday.


It's that red coated clock jack again, do I hear someone complaining ?
"
lplaining ??  Well, yes, but have a closer look . There is yet another  (smaller) clock jack figure standing in front of him. I remembered that somewhere in the depths of the Horner collection of oddities there should be another, even earlier, clock striking figure. I found him earlier today, and this is he. He was made (probably around the year 1560 to 1580) mainly of different coloured gilded bronze,  probably somewhere in Italy. He was probably one of perhaps four clock Jacks on a large domestic bronze chamber clock,  one striking the hours, probably two the quarters, and the fourth an alarm. I bought him (in a box containing clock bits) thirty or forty years ago in Sotheby's , and, as I said, I'd rather forgotten his existence. Due to my fortunate habit of never chucking anything away, I found  him fairly easily, and here he is, for your delectation. One of these days (I mean when I finally shuffle off this mortal coil) someone is going to have great fun  exploring the contents of my collection.


7 comments:

Crowbard said...

Catalogue everything that you're not taking with you Mike... You simply cannot comprehend the dark depths of chronic ignorance from which the rest of us suffer.... Give a copy of the catalogue to whomsoever you consider to be the most likely to value/comprehend its information.

Anonymous said...

That's easy, Carl.If Ruth's still around when I pop me clogs make sure that Ruth talks to Thomas Delmar.Thomas won't miss much.



Mike said...

P.s. Mike -- NOT Anonymous.

Rough said...

Very mikenanimous of you father. I shall do my very best to keep my clogs on as long as possible 😍 actually I wear clogs at work all day long,they're very comfortable 😇

Crowbard said...

Clogito ergo sum, as those devilishly verbose Romans never said!

Mike said...

I'm wearing clogs, therefore I exist. Makes quite as much sense as the original, I suppose.

Crowbard said...

Only problem there Mike is that I doubt if the three of us together have the stamina to outlast you! No, I tell a lie; another problem is that I don't know your new address, so would't know where to start pointing your heirs and assigns.....