Thursday 3 January 2013

Thursday.


After a fairly busy day yesterday at Long Melford, had a quiet, restful sort of day today. In the morning we walked into town, went to bank, shopped, then stopped for a coffee at the coffee house on the High Street known locally as  ' Crabtrees', although that refers to two or three owners back - still, Suffolk folk are creatures of habit generally. Took above photo through a window of the coffee room at the back of the shop.



Ann then went off to do some more shopping, and I made my way home via the Church yard and round by the river. Above snapshot is of early Tudor (c. 1490 - 1520) brick building near the Church.


I think I've shown this bench end in the church before. It's the legend of the wolf guarding St. Edmund's head. I show it in some detail as it is a  600 year old joke - the wolf is in priest's clothing of the period, and probably refers to (or may even be the origin of) the saying about 'a wolf in sheep's clothing'.


 The river is still  high. The above snapshot is of the weir that gives onto the old millstream (the watermill burned down    in the late sixties.

 Group of Aylesbury ducks on the river.  Then  crossed the river by the footbridge, walked up Tinker's Lane, and home. Lunch, changed into me scruff, then spent the rest of the day pottering in me workshop. As I said - been a nice, restful day.
Goodnight all.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I first met the "wolf in sheep's clothing" in my history book at school when I was eleven year's old. I was astonished when I first came to Hadleigh twenty-eight years ago and discovered him in St.Mary's.

Anonymous said...

I first met the "wolf in sheep's clothing" in my history book at school when I was eleven year's old. I was astonished when I first came to Hadleigh twenty-eight years ago and discovered him in St.Mary's.

Rough said...

Can you ask Gr annie if she left a slicka-pot behind last summer, please?

Unknown said...

Hello Rough. Grannie isn't sure, but thinks she might have done. But she says that whenever she uses the one with flowers on that you gave her she always thinks of you; and says please use the one you ask about and think of Grannie.
Much love, Grannie and Pa.

Rog said...

Gosh - a 600 year old joke is older than many of mine!

Unknown said...

But not necessarily better,Rog; although someone put a lot of work into this one.

Pat said...

I marvel at how you manage an interesting array of photos - even in the depths of winter.

Unknown said...

Pat, You have no idea how much that comment has cheered me up; thank you.