Sunday 2 December 2012

Sunday,


Today, after church, Ann suggested we drive over to a couple of antique fairs about five miles from us. For once in a way I was slightly doubtful about this as we'd not been able to buy much at these two fairs of late. But, I was wrong. We bought half a dozen pieces, two of which I've illustrated here. The carved oak figure nearest to the camera (a caryatid- I hope I've spelled that right), is English, and of the early sixteen hundreds It  is a 'keepy', i.e. for us.  In our back hall prior to this afternoon there was the far carved figure and the framed embroidery - looked a bit lopsided, and the figure we've just bought balances thing nicely. It was just inside the door of the fair - waiting for us.


The weapon shown above is the second thing we bought today. It is a smallsword, probably English, and of the very early 1700s. It's in a bit of a mess, and needs a good clean up- so this photo is the 'before' picture. When cleaned I'll show the 'before' and  'after '  photos - if I remember.

Good Night All.

2 comments:

Pat said...

The hall looks perfect with your new acquisition.

Unknown said...

Thank you Pat. I'm rather a believer in the old saying :- "Everything comes to he/she who waits."