Thursday 25 October 2012

Thursday.


Been a full day. Woke rather later than we'd intended (well, 7.55a.m. to be honest), and remembered that we both had to be at the surgery around tennish. As soon as Ann had finished in the bathroom I leapt into the shower, where about two minutes later I heard the 'phone going, and about thirty seconds after that Ann came in, thrust the 'phone at me, and said "It's Terry, she's having trouble with one of the clocks". I don't know if you've ever  had to advise a lady how to deal with the strike work on a three hundred year old loop and spurs clock whilst in the shower, and not even wearing your hearing aids, but it isn't easy. It wasn't so much being in the shower - after all Terry is a retired G.P. so probably isn't too bothered by  disrobed, elderly gentlemen, so much as the fact that nothing I suggested seemed to work. "Tell you what, Terry," I said, "we've got to get into the surgery. We'll go in the car, then nip round to see you when done".  Terry lives about three/four miles out of town. We got there at about eleven o'clock (note the low cunning of this:- Eleven a.m. which is of course, to the civilised, coffee time), to be met by Terry with a huge grin "I've done it!" she said. "I poked about till the bell rang, and I've cured it."
"Is that the way you used to treat your patients?" I asked "Poke them about till they squawk, then declare them cured ?"
"More or less," says Terry "Anyway, now you're here, come in and have a coffee". Which we did, together with the added incentive of a piece of shortbread apiece. Perhaps should have said earlier that the above photo is of Terry's home, which it is always a pleasure to visit. Have to creep like this to ensure the continued supply of coffee and shortbread, especially as Terry reads this blog.


From Terry's motored on to our favourite hostelry, where we stopped for a light lunch of (I think Italian pancakes and ricotto), with salad. Followed by marmalade pudding and custard in my case and pear creme brulee in Ann's. Not that it mattered who had what for pudding, because, by mutual consent, we swapped over halfway. Then motored home because we were due to take tea at around four with an old friend and Ann wanted to change, which she did into the above outfit. Tead with Sylvia as stated, exchanged all the parish news (not all of it good, I'm afraid) then home, changed into partial scruff, and must soon get stuck into some work.
Bit early to do this, I know, but I wish you all a very good night.

P.s. Do not altogether recommend Terry's method of dealing with antique orloges. Rather, should you be so fortunate as to know, and be in yelling distance of, an honest and reliable antiquarian horologist, place matters in his hands, and wait until you are suffering a quinsey, or a dose of the megrims, THEN send for Terry, and place yourself with confidence in her hands.

8 comments:

Rog said...

What a charming Suffolk day! Motoring to hostelries, visiting friends to fix clocks that don't need fixing, swapping marmalade puddings ..... lovely!
I'll make a note of the clock doc to check my ticker over.

Z said...

Splendid. I'm particularly struck by the puddings. Which had the edge?

Unknown said...

Impossible choice Zoe. The marmalade pudding with custard was a REAL pudding, whilst the pear creme brulee was a subtly creamy confection, and a perfect finish to a light lunch. If I'd still been hungry, which I wasn't, I'd probably plumped for the marmalade pud. Each good in its way - no way to compare.

PixieMum said...

Although not within yelling distance of this august horologist, we are delighted that the clock he repaired for us has behaved beautifully since.

The chimes of our clocks are quite different, the one repaired by Mike has a slow, deep, ponderous sound whereas the German clock is much brisker and a higher note. Very rarely to they chime simultaneously.

Now need to go and start them both, stopped them this morning so GMT could be established. Please can we have Summer time all the year round? The car clocks and the bedroom stereo/hifi are left. As so difficult to change.

Unknown said...

Thank you Madeleine. Always good to hear that an ex-patient is flourishing.
Our regards to you and Ian - Mike and Ann.

Nea said...

I agree with you about summertime, Pixiemum, changing the clocks always throws me off my balance wheel.

Pat said...

Considering your long lie-in you had a very fruitful and satisfying day.

Unknown said...

Very true Pat. Perhaps we should lie in more often.