Friday 20 April 2012

Friday.


After finishing our viewing of Bonham's sale on Tuesday morning, we grabbed a quick coffee at the little Greek restaurant in Knightsbridge, opposite Bonham's, then got on a 'bus and went out to Covent Garden -Ann's choice of relaxation and entertainment, and, as it turned out, a very good one.  In the very centre of Covent Garden you find yourself looking down into a courtyard, full of tables and chairs and served by a restaurant at one end of it. Various young musicians entertain the passers by. In the snapshot below is a young singer (the lady in the dark blue knitted hat) who had, I think, one of the most powerful voices I've heard. We eventually bought a video tape of her singing, which she very kindly signed for us. We then seated ourselves at one of the restaurant tables and listened to a  string quartet (music students I should think). We had lunch, and listened to another lady singer. Then, we had more coffee, and the string quartet returned and played Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld (the Can Can music), whilst, at the same time dancing a slightly toned down version of the Can Can. We  then did a little light (and rather daft) shopping round the market and decided it was time to be making our way back to Lizzie's. We took 'buses back to Hammersmith, and decided we'd try and find a walk along the Thames to Chiswick.


We achieved this eventually. It was a good step, but with conveniently placed benches every so often.

 Above shows your blogger 'leaning on a lampost..........'  with the Thames to the left of the photo.



Snapshot of a handsome, wisteria draped house, looking out over the Thames, and below, from the same spot, looking the opposite way, is a view of the Thames.



The below snapshot, of another very fine old house, is also looking south over the river, and I think we were  now in Chiswick.

And finally, just to the East of Chiswich High Street, is one of the most cheekily name 'restaurants' in London, I should think. Even more so as, although it calls itself the Ritz 'Restaurant', it appears to be what my grandchildren would call a  ' greasy spoon cafe' rather than a restaurant .  As Ann said "If we lived in Chiswick, we could afford to have tea at the Ritz every day". Quite agreed but pointed out that the drawback to this idea is that we can't afford to live in Chiswich.

On Wednesday we went to the auction and managed to purchase four lots. In the evening Beth produced a quite superb vegetable bake, together with some roast Cumberland sausages for supper; followed by ice cream.
On Thursday we packed our bags in the morning, and then took the children out to lunch at midday in a pub near the river called the Black Lion. I asked Matt where we could eat in the area and he recommended the Black Lion, adding 'But it's a bit expensive Pa'  (in fact it wasn't particularly expensive, and the food was very good ).  Following up this line of thought possibly, Matthew, who is now working, insisted on buying the drinks, and, as he was so obviously pleased to be able to, I let him.  The children really are growing up very nicely, thank The Lord.    Eventually took the underground back to Liverpool Street Station, and arrived home at just after five o'clock.   Been a thoroughly satisfying few days away.

13 comments:

stigofthedump said...

London actually looks rather nice - have they started to clean up ready for the games?? !!! Will call during weekend to obtain assistance with X word - last weeks was complete GIT and Guys football training is now a long way from car park which means that when it is raining ( as indeed it was this week ) I am unable to have paper & pen in the open air ! Planning to start afresh with today's, fingers crossed - love Stig x

Unknown said...

Hi Stig. I was in London for the same auction this time last year and took photies around Knightsbridge. I've come to the conclusion that London can look at its best in April.
I'm afraid I hardly looked at the Prize crossword last week. It was, as you say, a complete thingummy and I think I only did a couple of clues. Done a good deal more that that already of this week's. We'll swap ideas later in the week.
Love, Pa.

Lori Skoog said...

Mike...Thanks for the tour. I still can't list your blog with updates in my links, so I don't know when you put up something new. Just caught up.
Thanks for taking us a the tour of this beautiful architecture. As usual, you and Ann are not letting any grass grow under your feet. You have been busy, busy, busy. The weather looks beautiful.

Yes, we have "chock full" here too. You don't use "humbug" over there? For me, it means "darn" or a sign of frustration. A grumpy term.

Unknown said...

Hello Lori. Good to hear from you. Sorry ref Humbug. Being ironic (a tease in other words - 'divided by a common language') Think 'A Christmas Carol' -Ebenezer Scrooge "Bah Humbug!!!!!'

Unknown said...

P.s. I shall now go and write out (in longhand- and as a penance):-
"I must not tease Lori, or any of the commenters on my blog". a hundred times. That'll teach me.

P.p.s. In case you're still a little bothered Lori, this is known as English humour, and on reading it - it's not particularly funny.
Warm regards, Mike.

Lori Skoog said...

Ha! Ha! You got me. Don't stop, I can handle it. I will be insulted if you don't continue teasing!!!! After all, you have an astounding vocabulary.

Unknown said...

Thank you Lori. You're a sportsman.

Z said...

Our wisteria isn't even showing buds yet, it won't be in flower until May. Just as well mind you, it often gets caught by a late frost and then there aren't any flowers at all.

I often walk along the Thames and back through the City to Liverpool Street. I love walking in London. Glad you had a good break.

Unknown said...

Hello Z. I always think London gardens are a week or three ahead of ours. I suppose that those eighty or ninety miles south of us helps. Noticed that one or two rosebuds in Lizzie's garden are already showing colour. Yes, it was a good break - though not nearly so exotic as yours. Really it was a business trip (Bonham's) that got enlarged into a very pleasant little few days away.

Maggie said...

Unfortunately my wisteria caught the frost this year, really frustrating as it was covered in buds ready to come out. I must agree with Sarah though, I don't remember London looking so spritely last time I was there (although that was some time ago).

Unknown said...

Hello Maggie. Good to hear from you. I know what you mean. We've got four young (espaliered) fruit trees in our garden, all put in in the last three or four years, and although all are in bud, the threat of late frost is still quite worrying.

Pat said...

That sounds a very pleasant break and seeing family is the icing on the cake.

Unknown said...

It was indeed Pat, thank you.