Monday 12 March 2012

Monday.



Soppy ode to supper :-      Of sausages we did a test

                                          to see which would come first.

                                           We find these Cumberland's the best -

                                             The German ones are wurst.

(Not that we've eaten German sausages in some years - the last time was in Germany, but I've always found the actual sausages there to be very bland in comparison to ours).



Pudding was the above (and below) baked apple.

Ann's recipe :-  One Bramley apple per person. Core the apples and cut the peel around the equator of the apple. Make up a mixture of butter, muscovado sugar, sultanas, and a little ginger preserve (or chopped chrystalised ginger), and stuff the apple core hole with the mixture. Bake at around 180 degrees for an hour in a tin or earthenware oven dish. Depending on the apple, it may need a little more sugar sprinkled thereon (i.e. adjust to taste as necessary).  This is a real winter warmer of a pudding.


9 comments:

Crowbard said...

Ann’s Bramley apples are superb,
A smidge beyond perfection,
But why she takes their peel away
Requires some detection.

Providing access to this pud
Is possibly the reason;
Their spicy warmth is needed fast
Against the winter season.

The Romans found the peel too tough
And threw it in the Tiber
But I enjoy the roughage too
So eat up all my fibre!

Crowbard said...

PS I can't beat you on 'Ode' but I'm very highly respected for 'soppy'.

Unknown said...

Hi Crowbard. Ann doesn't take the peel away, just slits round the 'equator' as I say. In the cooking the apple rises leaving a broad white path of cooked apple flesh showing round the middle. I must admit, though, that before eating the apple we usually remove the skin.

Crowbard said...

I am amazed, indeed were I not convinced of your absolute integrity, veracity, and honesty in all matters Ann-ly and food-ly, I would say I am incredulous about the degree of expansion achieved by such a simple procedure. Thank you for continuing to amaze (at indecently frequent intervals) your otherwise world-weary junior brother.

Unknown said...

'Ware tautology Brother.
Quite like the versifying though.

Unknown said...

P.s. I appreciate that tautology is allowable in order to make the rhetoric scan, though.

Lori Skoog said...

Yum to all.

Thanks for your kind comments about knees. Are you sure you and Ann and Nea and the girls don't want to come over this summer for some 3 legged races?

Pat said...

We have always favoured Cumberland because that's where my lovely Grandad came from.

Nea said...

For me the Swedish suasage, Falukorv, is big, pink, spongey and totally tasteless, give me a good old German wurst furst, please.