Thursday 16 February 2012

Thursday.



This morning we motored over to Coggeshall (in North Essex), to go to a tailor's shop/gentleman's outfitters where, some years ago I purchased a shooting waiscoat which I've been wearing for most of every winter since then. They hadn't any in stock, but promised to try and obtain one (at three times the price I paid then, needless to say). They now have a ladies' section where Ann found, and eventually bought the weskit she is wearing in the picture above (taken when we got home). Ann says the correct term for it is a gilet (?). Coggeshall is a pretty little town, so we then did a bit of exploring. Before we did however we decided to have lunch at the White Hart Hotel, which we've lunched at before (and that time  ended up buying some garden furniture which we still use - wandering off the subject down memory lane now; must stick to subject).Eventually found the White Hart (got sidetracked by the fact that it was market day) and decided to have a sandwich lunch. Whilst we were studying the menu, the people at the next table were served with what looked like a jolly good lunch, so we examined the menu more closely and found they were advertising a special lunch- Two Lunches for £9.95 the two. Next table's lunch looked so good we had the same - fried haddock, chips, peas, and tartare sauce. I don't think we've ever had a better fish meal - fresh, hot, light and crispy. We'd ordered coffee, and this too was excellent. I'd thoroughly recommend the place.




As you can see, streets of medieval buildings. I know it's the fashion to denigrate Essex (do you remember those 'Essex Girl' and 'Essex Man' stories that were popular in the eighties?), but North Essex is nearly as good as South Suffolk in many ways, not least architecturally.



Above is Coggeshall Church - St. Peter ad Vincula, I think. Interesting thing is that the tower  and part of the west end of the Church was destroyed by bombing in the early 1940s, and not rebuilt until 1956. They've made a lovely job of it, and Ann says (she is better at these things than I) that the Church has a very  welcoming feel to the interior.


More ancient buildings.




And lastly a quick snapshot taken in the Churchyard to show that spring is on its way.

Goodnight all.

5 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Mike.
I can't get your blog address to show up like it used to. Don't get your daily posts. I wonder why.

Unknown said...

Hello Lori. Sorry my machine is giving problems. My brother (who blogs as Crowbard) tells me that he is having difficulty too, in that the other day my computer declined to accept a comment from him. He seems to have got round the problem, though. Partly because of this I'm only posting a blog about twice a week these days. I'll ask around but I fear that the problem might be general. But- please Lori - keep trying.

Lori Skoog said...

Crowbard sent me your address again, and I tried it one more time. It says they can't find the URL. I have your link, but it does not show me that you have put up a new post. Strange. Don't worry, I will continue to get over there.

Pat said...

Ann's gilet reminds me I also have one and am going to unearth it and put it on - just right for today.
There is an awful TV programme now - 'The only way is Essex.'
Bears no relation to the lovely Essex I used to visit.

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. Yes, not only is it a good practical garment for country wear at this time of year, it looks well too.