Tuesday 15 March 2011

Tuesday.

Set off at eight a.m. and motored to Bury St. Edmund's Where Ann had an eye test at the Hospital. Then ran the car round to our garage to have its first ever M.O.T. (three year test, Lori). Lunch at the Refectory. Back to garage. Car had passed M.o.T. with flying colours, so then had a job getting away from car salesman, who, of course wanted to sell us another car. Above photo is of the Norman Campanile at Bury St. Ed's.
On the way home stopped off at Monk's Eleigh Post Office/Shop to post granddaughter Lucy's birthday present. She'll be thirteen on Thursday. The village shop/Post Office closed about three years ago, so the villagers got together, rented a suitable building, funded it as a shop/P.O. and take turns to staff it. It's a great little shop, and well worth a visit. The two photoes below are of cottages in Monks Eleigh, and the one with the telephone kiosk is almost opposite the new P.O./shop. Got home about threeish, changed into me scruff, and have been working in the workshop (and forge) since then- with quick break for tea, then scrabble. Time for bed now, so - Goodnight All.




Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

I have to get my car inspected before the end of March. We have to have it done every year. Again, great photos. Especially loved the next to the last shot.

Thanks for explaining so many things to me...now I get it!

Anonymous said...

Hello Mike and Ann. Thanks for the introduction. Enjoyed your comments and photos. Keep up with me on wendywhitecat.wordpress.com you will see yourselves at the Layham Lunch also on the video on my Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=10000072658548

Crowbard said...

Delightful suffolk cottages, Mike.
But the Norman stonework does it for me every time. I would love to take up residence and renew my interest in campanology, it's over 40 years since I last participated in a triple-bob major!

Unknown said...

Thank you Lori, Wendy and Crowbard.
Didn't know you'd ever been a bell ringer, Crowbard. When and where would that have been. Campanology is one of the many things I've never tried.

Z said...

My mother used to be a bell ringer and she loved it.

I'm going to a meeting in Bury tomorrow, in the meeting room above the cathedral refectory. Won't have time to mooch around though, unfortunately, the meeting will take from 12 to 4, including a break for lunch.

Crowbard said...

I once rang with the bell team at Belgrave when I lived in Belgrave Avenue. I guess it would have been 1966 and I think the church was called St Peter's. I was a complete novice and just took the nod from the bell-captain although he said I had a good enough sense of timing.

Unknown said...

You're ahead of me, brother. I'd love to have a go at it, but I don't think I could spare the time now.