Sunday 23 January 2011

Sunday.

As you'll have gathered from yesterday's blog, we've had three house guests this weekend, Ed, Jo, and Darcy. The above picture shows
Ed opening a geocache he'd just found. No, before this weekend I'd never heard of a geocache either. It's a sort of computer based treasure hunt which they'd been telling us about. Jo had found that one was hidden a very few miles from us, so we went off and found it. Not real treasure but some interesting things in a tub. We put them back in, added something of Jo's, then left it for the next finder, who may take something out, but is expected to donate something else. This is a game played by 'with it' young technocrats- like us-
S Q (you'll have heard of lol which stands for 'laughs out loud'; well my S Q stands for smiles quietly). Well I think it's far more befitting our time of life than cackling out loud. So there.





Above photo shows Jo, Ann, Ed, and Darcy, out for a walk. And yes, I did go too. Who do you think took the photo?


The above photo shows Little Wenham Hall. It is one of the earliest houses in England, and dates from 1275 (A.D. of course). It's a few miles from here, and quite near where we had to go to find the geocache (have to keep using that word so I don't forget it before I've impressed the grandchildren with it). It's been a lovely weekend .
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

I've never heard of a geocache either. Could be fun.


It's very cold here...lots of snow and below zero.

stigofthedump said...

Edward looks just like his Uncle Dave - Lucky chap !!!
Dave was always the best looking Clayton boy and still is in my opinion !
Am still plugging away at the crossword, will call you later this week to compare notes !!!
Hope you are all well,
much love Stig x

Unknown said...

Hello Lori. Yes, I think it could be. Makes you get out and about, and use you eyes. Weather here fairly mild, had a couple of frosts in the last ten days, but the weather today is in the mid
40s, and was up to 55 one day last week!!!!!
Hello Stig. Yes, Crowbard made the same remark when I put photos up after Ed/Jo's wedding last year (that Ed looks very like David at the same age). Confession :- I've only done one crossword clue (pubs) so far and seem to have got stuck. It's a thingummy, which means somewhere between a stinker and the expression you use. I'll have another try this lunchtime, and failing that I'll 'phone you this evening.

Crowbard said...

SQZI (excuse me) I think that 'Smiles Quietly' a most beneficial addition to the virtual communication's abbreviations.

Crowbard said...

Was Wenham hall built with battlements, Mike, or did the owner seek royal license for crenelation later?

Unknown said...

Hello Carl. I think it was built with battlements sometime in the mid 1200s (dates vary) by and for Sir John de Vallibus. I've no idea if a licence w for crenellations was applied for or granted, although it was (just) within the period when this was done, although, I think, it was not considered strictly necessary, the thinking being that it wasn't much more than a courtesy to apply for a protection that your Lord should have supplied anyway, and that therefore you were sparing hime the expense. It is no longer occupied, but is, I'm told, used as a private museum. All a bit vague, I'm afraid, and its future seems a bit doubtful. There's a very detailed description given of it on Google, if you'd like more details.

Ed Clayton said...

We had a fantastic time - thank you! You must let us know when you have a profile with www.geocaching.com - we will link up with you and watch your progress!

Ed Clayton said...

We had a lovely time thank you. Make sure you let us know what your profile is - if you register with www.geocaching.com (it's free) - we'll make sure we link up so we can track your progress!