Saturday 16 October 2010

Saturday.


Had a very full (but very enjoyable) day yesterday. Went to cafe church in the morning, then motored across to March in Cambridgeshire, where we met up with daughter Kerry, and had lunch at the Oliver Cromwell hotel. It's a good, modern hotel in the town centre. We've stayed there a couple of times, and were given clean, commodious rooms, and excellent service. The food is unpretensious (that word doesn't look right - I've tried it with a 'c' and that looks even wronger), but good, fresh, and sourced from local ingredients (or ingreediments as dughter Ruth used to call them when younger). We had tea (Kerry), coffee (Ann and I) and sandwiches. Sat and nattered for a couple of hours or so, then drove over to Welney, where we put flowers on Gran's grave, then called on our old friend Marlene (must reword that - ungallant- our friend of long standing - Marlene). Hadn't seen her for some years, so, over tea and biccies, spent a very pleasant hour picking up the threads.
Then drove across to Ely, where we met up at the Fire Engine House (a very good restaurant), see above photo. Left to right :- Ann's older brother, Mick, Tim's wife Sue, Tim, who's sixtieth birthday we were celebrating, Ann, Maureen, David's wife, meself, and Ann's middle brother David. The photo was taken, at my request, by our quite charming young waitress. We astonished the staff (and other diners) by singing, quite unrehearsed and at David's instigation, our old school grace 'Be present at our table, Lord'. It was completely spontaneous, and sounded very good. No actual applause, but murmurs of appreciation (very English !) from our fellow diners. A coincidence here recounted :- sister-in-law Sue and I had a roast partridge each for the main course (rather a favourite of mine, but hadn't had one for a year or so) then this morning, when reading Pat's blog- Past Imperfect- found she had published several close ups of a partridge taken in her garden.
Altogether an excellent evening, although during the last year or so we have lost two of our usual number :- Mick's wife, Erica, and Gran, the mother of Mick, Ann, David, and Tim. Gran had expressed a wish, after the last family get -together she attended, in the summer, that her family continue occasionally to congregate and eat together, after she was gone. I think we shall continue to do so.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

I wish I had been there to hear the singing!

Crowbard said...

I wish I had been there to croak along beside you all - just reading about it brought the words and music to mind and I found meself singing the grace aloud as I read your bloggings.

Pootatu's v-word is 'coing' - she may have been going along with me or cooing along with me... or not!

Crowbard said...

Being unable to recall the 2nd grace we sang after the meal I looked it up. To my surprise there is also a third verse:-

Be present at our table, Lord;
Be here and everywhere adored;
Thy creatures bless, and grant that we
May feast in paradise with Thee.

We thank Thee, Lord, for this our food,
For life and health and every good;
By Thine own hand may we be fed;
Give us each day our daily bread.

We thank Thee, Lord, for this our good,
But more because of Jesus’ blood;
Let manna to our souls be giv’n,
The Bread of Life sent down from Heav’n.
John Cennick 1741

Crowbard said...

Here's a grace I like, mainly because I love the tune.
(Tune: Doxology Old 100th )
For food and drink and happy days
Accept our gratitude and praise.
In serving others, Lord may we,
Express our deepest thanks to thee. Amen!

Now, whom may I serve?.....

Unknown said...

I always admired the brevity straightforwardness of the politicians' prayer:-

For those we are about to deceive,
may The Lord make us truly thankful.

P.s. w.v. word is venale (thinking of politicians,no doubt)

Pat said...

What a very full day. You must have been exhausted. There are few things more pleasurable than breaking bread with one's family - especially if you don't have to do the cooking.
I'm glad you hadn't met the partridge previously.

DILLIGAF said...

As singing was involved it's as well I wasn't remotely nearby...;-)

I do a very good rendition of Sid Vicious singing 'My Way'...but that hardly applies eh?...;-)

Unknown said...

Hi Pat. Yes it was a full day. Ref partridge, I haven't shot for some years now, but during a few years prior to that, we always ate anything I'd shot (mainly wildfowling by that time).
Warm regards, Mike.

Unknown said...

Hi Forde-Innes. Good to hear from you. We'll have to try a duet some time - baggy I the basso profundo line.
Warm regards, Mike.