Thursday 26 July 2007

Thursday.

Yesterday got home in the late afternoon and found a message from Hilary on the recording machine to say that she had a spare ticket for Trevor Pinnock's European Brandenberg Ensemble playing chunks of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto in St. Mary's. Ann happily accepted the spare ticket, and I trotted off down to the Church and was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a ticket for one of the last half dozen seats still available. It was an incredible evening. I haven't words to begin to do it justice. Can't think why it wasn't better advertised. It was part of the Suffolk Villages Festival this summer. The church was full so perhaps it was as well it wasn't better advertised. When there's music like that available part of me regrets my deafness more than ever and part of me thanks God that I've enough hearing left to be still able to appreciate such music. I'm becoming fulsome, so will move on to today and say that Sue and David dropped in for coffee this morning, it was lovely to see them. Choir practise this evening. It went well, and we also discussed the cut and colour of proposed new cassocks, being presented by Sylvia Willis-Betts in memory of her late husband Frank. Very generous of her, she's a lovely person. Must get off to bed now. Got a busy day tomorrow. Goodnight all.

1 comment:

Crowbard said...

My dear chap, you do so wonderfully joggle my memory. It must be 40 years since I last listened to the Brandenburg concertos with that righteous feeling that you are using your valuable leisure time to enjoy an even more valuable experience. I seem to have lost all my records and books from before that period.
I think I might have a snoop around iTunes for it.
It is so good to read your public diary in the neo-Pepysian style however jealous I become of your fulfilling and varied lifestyle.